Course Code:DSA 01809
Course Directors: Stephanie Palin MA BSc (Hons) Dip PST FIfL Anna Palin-Swift MSC BSc PGD Relationship Therapy Dip SA
COST: £2250 (inclusive of vat & accreditation fees)
This accredited course provides training for professionals to work with individuals and couples for whom sex addiction (sexual compulsivity) is an issue.
Students will be given a comprehensive understanding of the various treatment options for working with sex addiction involving non-offending behaviour. A variety of teaching methods will be used, including teaching input, experiential work, role play and use of video.
On completion of the course, trainees will be able to:
• Define sex addiction and understand its presentation and aetiology.
• Make an informed sex addiction assessment and decisions about suitability for therapy.
• Work ethically with sex addicts and be aware of legal issues and disclosure
• Develop treatment strategies that include addressing underlying causes and relapse prevention
• Provide support for partners and work with couples on restoring their couple relationship.
As well as completion of each module, trainees will complete a 2,500 word essay on a topic of their choice, relating to sex addiction. Students will also need to show evidence of their supervised clinical work with sex addicted clients.
In brief the modules cover:
Module 1: What is Sex Addiction?
- Definitions from a variety of sources,
- Assessment tools
- Motivational Interviewing
- Cyberculture and sex
Module 2: Understanding Sex Addiction
- Attachment injuries
- Traumatic experiences
- Social and Environmental Influences
- Neuroscientific evidence
Module 3: Impact on Partner and Couples
- Collusions and Co-dependency
- Support Strategies
Module 4: Recovery Principles and Treatment Programmes
- Cycle of Addiction
- Testing Motivation
- Working with Shame Reduction
Module 5: Treatment Programmes
- Changing Lifestyles
- Work-Life Balance
- Partner involvement
- Role of EMDR.
Module 6: Maintenance
- Cognitive Restructuring
- Couple work
- Partner support.
Course Dates for 2019 Manchester
Module 1: Sat & Sun September 21/22 2019
Module 2: Sat & Sun October 19/20 2019
Module 3: Sat & Sun November 16/17 2019
Module 4: Sat & Sun December 07/08 2019
Module 5: Sat & Sun January 11/12 2020
Module 6: Sat & Sun February 08/09 2020
Holiday Inn Express at Leigh Sport Village, Sale Way Leigh WN7 4JY
The course fees can be paid in instalments. A non-returnable deposit of £250 is required on booking.
Course requirement are one of the following:
· Diploma Level in Counselling or therapy
· Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy
· Other qualifications will be considered subject to a satisfactory interview. Please click here to contact our Course Director to discuss.
In addition Course members need to have undertaken 100 clinical hours with clients